As the seasons turn from Autumn to Winter, the Feast of Ancestors is celebrated all over Brittanis. Giving thanks for the harvest and turning to the bitter work of culling the herds and flocks for the winter, both the nobility and the smallfolk of Brittanis are all too aware of the power in the blood and the spirits called to torchlight in the misty evenings...
This holiday is when the upcoming event, Event 2.5: INTO THE LONG NIGHT
, takes place. It was also the setting of last year's "Harvest of Heroes" event.
Commonly Known Lore:
- The holiday lasts for 5 days, beginning at sundown of the first day.
- The veil between the moral realm and the Otherworld is thin, and Weird Stuff can happen.
- Celebrated as a holy day of Rhaine in the Three Sisters faith, Aenriya for White Court followers.
- Torches are lit at night to light the way for the lost ... both the living and the dead.
- Most folk do not travel, for fear of getting lost in the mists and finding themselves permanently relocated somewhere... else. Many legends tell of travelers walking into a bank of mist and finding themselves inexplicably transported hundreds or thousands of miles, or even sometimes into the Otherworld itself.
- Spirits and strangers can appear on the doorstep. It is good to keep warm drinks and good food on hand to comfort and appease travellers with the grace of good Hospitality.
- Blood power is especially potent, making blood magic even more wild and dangerous.
- "Rhaine's Windows" are triangles of tied sticks, hung from trees and walls during the holiday. These can act as "magic mirrors" showing glimpses of strange people and places, including the faces of loved ones who have passed beyond into Rhaine's realm. But it's best not to make them too large or to step too close, for sometimes a window can act as a door...
- Weddings are common this time of year, as the beloved ancestors can perhaps attend and witness the union.
- The Tiberians had a similar festival this time of year, where reflective surfaces -- like mirrors and still water -- could act as portals or windows. They were surprised to find the same phenomenon in Brittanis when they arrived, and quickly adapted to the local customs. So -- White Court devotees don't necessarily feel this is a Three Sisters holiday, they see it as a festival recognizing a natural phenomenon. But they do have lovely songs and stories about visions of Aenriya rising from still lakes and pools on this day, which Tiberians call "The Feast of the Lady's Vision"
- Gael'Dar hold this holiday the most holy of the entire year, calling it the Feast of Four Ancestors (Mereth en Canad Nothlir). The wild elves use it to mark the passing of the old year into the new. Their culture's reverence for the Four Ancestors means they are literally closest to those spirits at this holiday. It is usually marked with great hunts, offerings to the Four Ancestors while they are close, and rites of passage into adulthood.
- Before the Fall of Valyngaard, the holiday in this time of year was called "Heirsmeet", when the designated heir to the ruler of a settlement would host a feast or celebration in order to establish positive relationships with the people she would eventually rule. After the Crown Prince betrayed his people and murdered his entire family, the Free Dwarves replaced it with a festival known as "Intercession" (Estver Gromthi Vlag, literally "Call the Lost Ancestors") where the living dwarves pray for the spirits of those who died and went unburied during the Fall of Valyngaard. It is believed that those spirits still wander the Otherworld, unable to find their final rest. Much symbolism is placed on the similarities of Free Dwarves abandoned in Brittanis and the spirits of the dead wandering the Otherworld. Many Free Dwarves build Rhaine's Windows (see above) in hopes of contacting those lost souls and guiding them to rest, regardless of whether they personally honor Rhaine or not.
- Erin'Tar call the holiday "The Night of One Ring" (Dû en Min Rithil); with the Veil so thin and the two worlds so close, it is the High Elven custom to focus on the similarities and unity in all things. It is the time of year when elves seek atonement, pursue deep reflection, and both ask for and give forgiveness. Of particular note is that many Erin'Tar legends speak of the binding power of oaths given between elves during this holiday.
Photo Credit: Jeremiah Mitchell, taken at the 2014 Brittanis Feast of the Ancestors event, "Harvest of Heroes".
Battle Trait for this Season is Disease.
Death & Decay
You harness the slow, entropic energy of Autumn, using that power to protect yourself. Y
Level 1: Call “Imbue by Death & Decay” and can once call “Shield by Nature” vs any effect with the Disease trait.
Level 2: you can cast this spell by touch on a willing target by calling, “Grant Defense: Shield Disease By Nature”
Level 3: Call either “Double Imbue by Death & Decay” when cast on self or, “Grant Defense: Double Shield Disease by Nature”
Level 4: either “Triple Imbue by Death & Decay” when cast on self or, “Grant Defense: Triple Shield Disease by Nature”
Your magic antagonizes beasts of the wild, keeping them away from you.
Level 1: You gain 2 packet attacks for “Repel Beast By Fear”.
Level 2: Tier+1 packets instead of 2.
Level 3: Tier+2 packets.
Level 4: "Repel By Fear"
Strip the Branches
Wild, entropic energies assault your foe, causing their arms to shake and shudder like branches in the cold autumn wind.
Level 1: Make 2 packet attacks for “Disarm by Nature.”
Level 2: 3 packets
Level 3: “Double Disarm by Nature.
Level 4: When you cast this spell, you can choose to cast it as the level 3 version--OR-- you can call, "Short Maim [limb] by Nature" You do not have to use all packets with the same effect.
Decay eventually comes to all things. Like a traveler stepping on a rotten log, your magic slows the steps of a target.
Level 1: Make 2 packet attacks for “Short Slow by Disease.”
Level 2: you call “Slow by Disease.”
Level 3: You gain packets equal to Tier+1.
Level 4: When you cast this spell, you can choose to cast it as the level 3 version--OR-- you can call, "Root by Nature" You do not have to use all packets with the same effect.
Your magic knows the power of decay and disease brought on by the autumn. You can remove such effects from yourself with ease.
Level 1: You call “Cure Disease to Self By Nature.”
Level 2: You can deliver the spell by touch to another willing target, calling, "Cure Disease by Nature"
Level 3: 2 targets.
Level 4: You can target this spell by calling, "By Your Name, [Name], Cure Disease By Nature."
Winter Is Coming
Autumn is the season of guardians, preparation for the coming cold, and protection from the beasts of the wild.
Level 2: You call “Grant 2 Protection to Self by Nature.” These points expire when consumed by damage or at the end of the Watch.
Level 3: you can cast this spell by touch on a willing target by calling, “Grant 2 Protection by Nature”
Level 4: the target gets points equal to 1+Caster’s Tier.
Level 5: Protection equals Caster's Tier+2.
Last Blooming Rose
The rose is a symbol of beauty and nature's habit of combining the glorious with the dangerous.
Level 2: You gain two packet attacks for “Short Root by Nature.”
Level 3: “2 Damage and Short Root by Nature.”
Level 4: “X Damage and Short Root by Nature,” where X is your Tier+1.
Level 5: "X Damage and Root by Nature"
Cold Autumn Wind
You push attackers away by calling a blast of autumn's frigid gale.
Level 1: You gain a packet attack for, “Short Repel by Wind.”
Level 2: "Repel by Wind.”
Level 3: "Slam and Repel by Wind"
Level 4: 2 packets
As decay sets in, muscle is claimed by scavengers, sinew rots, and eventually even bone succumbs to the cycle of death and rebirth.
Level 2: Make 2 packet attacks for “Short Weakness by Disease.”
Level 3: "Weakness By Disease"
Level 4: "Agony and Weakness by Disease"
Level 5: Make X packet attacks, where X is your Tier.
Cull The Herd
Requires 5 spells from this Season. Autumn is the time when the weakest of beasts fall to predators.
Level 3: You gain 1 packet attack for, “Short Maim [limb] by Nature.”
Level 4: “Maim [limb] by Nature.”
Level 5: When you cast this spell, you can choose to cast it as the level 4 version--OR-- you can call, "Short Drain by Nature"
Level 6: As Level 5, but replace, "Short Drain" with "Drain"
Requires 5 spells from this Season. Your magic inflicts a bone-deep weariness on the target,eventually causing them to fall asleep where they stand.
Level 3: Make a You gain 1 packet attack for, “Short Stun by Nature.”
Level 4: “Stun by Nature.”
Level 5: Make 2 packet attacks.
Your ability to harness the magic of the seasons gives you defenses against it.
Level 1: You call “Imbue by Relentless Seasons” and gain 1 use of “Resist by Nature” vs any Nature trait.
Level 2: You can cast this spell by touch on a willing target by calling, “Grant Defense: Resist Nature by Nature”
Level 3: either “Double Imbue by Relentless Seasons” when cast on self or, “Grant Defense: Double Resist Nature by Nature”
Level 4: either “Triple Imbue by Relentless Seasons” when cast on self or, “Grant Defense: Triple Resist Nature by Nature”
Eyes of the Serpent
Requires 4 spells from this Season. Most terrifying of all the natural creatures of the woodlands is the serpent, whose eyes hypnotize its prey before striking.
Level 3: You gain 1 packet attack for, “Short Paralyze by Nature.”
Level 4: “Paralyze by Nature.”
Level 5: Make 2 packet attacks.
Level 6: “Double Paralyze by Nature.”
Requires 4 skills from this header. There are many places in the wilderness where the Otherworld-- specifically the realm of Faerie-- leaks its energies into the natural world. You channel and focus this wild, chaotic energy and inflict that frenzy upon a foe.
Level 3: Make 1 packet attack for, “Short Frenzy by Nature.”
Level 4: “Frenzy by Nature.”
Level 5: Make 2 packet attacks.
Level 6: “Double Frenzy by Nature.”
Thunderstorm (Keyword: Burst)
Requires 5 skills from this header. The magic of autumn courses through you, channeling the destructive power of the a mighty storm.
Level 1: You gain 3 packet attacks. Each of the packet attacks can call EITHER “3 Damage by Lightning”—OR—“Slam by Wind.” The types of attack do not have to be the same for all 5 packets—you can call 1 damage effects, 1 Slam, and 1 more damage effect, for example
Level 2: Make Tier +2 packet attacks.
Level 3: Choose one benefit. Either your 3 Damage by Lightning upgrades to 2+Tier Damage by Lightning, OR you call “Double Slam by Wind.”
Level 4: Make Tier +3 packet attacks.
Level 5: Purchase: You gain the other benefit from Level 3.
Level 6: Make Tier +4 packet attacks